North Side Fitness Challenge -- Support Team

Check out this site frequently for ideas, inspiration and support to help meet your fitness goals.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Checking in

Hi All! This is Karma. I'm your support team coordinator and frequent blogger here.
Well, it's our first Monday in the Challenge. How is is going so far?  For me it hasn't been stellar, I suppose. But it hasn't been horrible either.
The Lincoln County Recreation District started its extended hours today and there was a great turnout! My neighbor Trenna and I went down and found another neighbor, Christine there. We had a great conversation and each of us did our personal best for the day. Christine and I did 1.5 miles on the treadmill. Trenna walked a half mile and a lot of stretching. It felt great -- although we all miss walking outside!
So, I'm wondering how many of you have tried the "eating when you're hungry, stopping when you're full" thing?  Have you used the 1 - 10 scale? I've had the scale for several years now -- and have mastered the "eat when you're hungry end of it. It's the "stop when you're full" part of it that leaves me stumped!
I've had success here and there.  I remember the first time I left food on my plate at a restaurant. It was amazing. I was more excited then I was when I won an award at work. This was a major accomplishment! These days, I'm close but always made to eat until I'm at an "8" or better.  Sometimes it's out of boredom. I end up picking at my food while I watch others eat. Sometimes I do a "there's not that much left so I might as well eat it" thing.  Sometimes, I've been looking forward to a meal all day and then I eat a few bites only to realize I'm full and then I'm not sure what to do.
If you have the opportunity to read Geneen Roth's books, I highly recommend it.  One of the things she recommends is focusing on what you're eating with no distractions. I have a horrible time with this!  I enjoy reading at the table -- but then I end up eating unconsciously and eat too much! I really hate this when I'm home by myself and I don't have anyone to talk to -- I hate trying to eat and not read or watch t.v.  I know I feel better when I don't go past a 7 on our scale -- I know I don't need as much food as I end up consuming when I eat unconsciously -- but dang! It's hard to pay attention! So that's really my goal for the challenge -- 1)I want to take 15 minutes off my 5K time and 2) I want to figure out the "stop before you're full" thing!
I'd love to hear what you're goals are!  Post a comment below and let's get the conversation started!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a moderated forum. Please feel free to post your thoughts, ideas and comments in a positive and supportive way. We will post them ASAP. Thank you!